Tuesday, November 04, 2008

"Fan Error" - ThinkPad

My laptop is about 2 years old and it was working perfectly fine till today morning. While booting (after the bios loaded) it displayed "Fan Error" and the system automatically shut down. I started the system a number of times but the same error kept occurring.

There was some weird sound coming from the Fan. I guess the Fan must've got stuck due to dust or something. I tapped (quite hard) the laptop from the side a couple of times and surprisingly it started working :)

If you get a similar problem then try this at your OWN risk coz the situation might worsen. Eventually, I guess the fan will have to be replaced but if at all you get it working for once, do take backup of critical data immediately (I did).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I solved this kind of problem recently and i found out that there are three factors that can can this kind of problem
1. The fan itself does not work normally.

2. The thermal paste

3. The CPU cooling assembly was not properly seated in the CPU and the Video Chip.

In my case the culprit is the CPU cooling assembly it is not properly seated in the Video chip side. The adhesive originally applied in the video chip does not stick as it was.

Remedy: I removed the original adhesive and replaced it with 3M double adhesive tape. This adhesive tape will keep the video chip and the cpu cooling assembly touching its other to keep the video chip at its normal temperature.

Reseating the video chip will also require thermal paste applied both the cpu and the video chip before reseating it back.